Thursday, May 14, 2020

"live wild and free"
by Charmane Sharp
Step by Step Tutorial



Hello 2Crafty fans,
Charmane with you today,

Hope I find you all well with plenty of time to create during
this troubling time. I have made an inspirational mixed media tag
for my son with loads of texture and techniques with awesome 
2Crafty chipboard pieces that I thought I would share with you. 

I have created a Step by Step tutorial so you too can make one.






2Crafty chipboard used...

live wild and free- title
Grid Panel
Chain Lengths
Folk Hearts
Cog Nested Frames





Step 1. I began with an oversized Tim Holtz Thickboard Tag 
which I adhered a piece of AB Studio paper. Then applied a coat of 
Clear Gesso and sanded the edges. I fussy cut elements to use later from another
piece of AB Studio paper.




Step 2. To begin a mixed media background, I used a stencil and spread some 
Finnabair Graphite Paste randomly over the tag. Dried the paste a little 
with a heat gun. Next I stamped with a mixed patterned stamp using Archival ink.
Then I applied some Versamark through a stencil in random places and sprinkled Distress Glaze powders, Weathered Wood and Broken China. Then heat these to add a lovely translucent
finish that reveals the stamping underneath.




Step 3. To complete the background I added some Distress Oxides in Stormy Sky,
and Antique Linen. I flicked some water on to activate the Oxides and gave a final
dry with the heat gun.




Step 4. Protect all the chipboard with a coat of Gesso. Apply Finnabair waxes in Brushed 
Iron, Old Silver and highlights of Rich Copper to the Chains, Cogs and Grid Panel as per
the photo. A little highlight on the Cogs with wax in Blue Lagoon to set them apart.
I randomly stamped on the Cogs with some script and dabbed on some Versamark
and sprinkled Distress Glaze Blue Lagoon. Heat set them. The Folk Hearts were coated with a 
little Brushed Iron and Blue Lagoon wax with RichCopper over the top. Then a little stamping. 
I dabbed some Versamark on the Hearts and sprinkled Distress Glaze in Weathered Wood 
to add a sheen and make them a focal point.




Step 5. To set the title apart I stamped on the Gesso randomly using a text stamp,
with Black Archival ink. Then coated in Versamark and sprinkled Distress Glaze
with my fingers so when heat set they would blend. This created a beautiful
sheen with the text visible.




Step 6. The edges of the fussy cut elements were inked Black and some cut in half.
Then assemble according to the above photo and tie some string around the Hearts 
before gluing together. Then apply some dabs of Soft Matte Gel in places over the 
tag so you can sprinkle some beads on to it. 





Here are some close ups to see the details on the tag. I hope you have enjoyed 
this tutorial and have a go at creating one for yourself.

Thanks for stopping by,

Until next time,

Charmane x