Monday, December 5, 2022

"Merry Christmas" ~ A Step by Step Tutorial by Robin Schelin

Hi everyone! Welcome to the blog and welcome to December!

 Can you believe Christmas is almost here? Sneaks up before you know it! To get all things Christmas going, I'm sharing a merry little layout with a step by step tutorial that is so easy to make. 

Hope you like it. 


"Merry Christmas"



2Crafty goodness I used:

6" Mandala No 1

Winter Twig Branches

Amelia Flower Stems

Merry Christmas Script Card Pack



First off, all the chipboard was given a good coat of White Gesso.


1.  To prepare the background, I used 2 sheets of the striped paper from the 49 and Market Holiday Wishes Collection, tearing one of them into a 4 " strip. I placed it on top of the other striped paper. 

2.  Then I inserted 2 torn strips of the spotted paper from the s.e.i. Holiday Traditions Collection tucking them in under the torn striped paper. Make sense so far? lol!

3.  This layout is a bit bulky and heavy, so I glued the background onto a 12x12 piece of chipboard for stability.


4.  I painted the 6" Mandala No 1 with red acrylic Paint and sprinkled the edges with Cherry Red Glitter Flakes while still wet. I then placed about a third of it under the photo which is matted with red card stock. Isn't she cuuute!!

 5.  I used a small plastic snowflake ornament and placed it on top of the Mandala, tucked in almost half way under the photo, to break up the red and add dimension. 

6.   I added one of the Winter Twig Branches on the bottom of the snowflake covering the photo just slightly. I painted the Twig Branches with White Acrylic Paint and then sprinkled them with Distress Stickles Clear Rock Candy Dry Glitter while still wet. This was to extend the look of the snowflake when I added the embellishments.

6.  I placed 2 more Winter Twig Branches on the left of the photo with Amelia Flower Stems glued on top of them. I cut off the flowers from the Flower Stems and just used the leafy part. I painted them with Viva My Paper World Paper Soft Color in Light Moss Green. 


8.  For the floral composition on the left of the photo, I started with a ring of berries placed on top of the chipboard. I Bought these at Michaels. You can find lots of small Christmas elements there to use on your projects.

9. On top of the berries I placed another plastic snowflake ornament. 

10.  Then added the big Poinsettia on top of the ornament.

11. I tucked in a few Christmas Botanicals Layers from Tim Holtz Idea-ology around the side to add green and balance out the color.


12.  On the top right, I first glued down some berries next to the photo on top and on the bottom on top of the Winter Twig Branch.

13.  I then placed a Poinsettia with Berries from Tim Holtz on top of the snowflake.


14.  Moving down, still on the right side of the page, I placed the title. I painted the word Merry from the Merry Christmas Script Card Pack with Red Acrylic Paint, then while it was still wet, I sprinkled it with Red Holographic Glitter.

15.  I placed 'Merry' inside a small little chipboard scroll banner thing from my stash, which I painted red, to add a little whimsy to the page. I then placed a small Botanical on the end.

16.  After that, I added a die cut 'Christmas' and placed it beneath the photo.


16.  A little HO HO HO, and it's finished!


Hope you liked this tutorial and found it easy to follow. Seems like a lot of steps, but it really is easy to do!

See you in a few week with some more Christmas inspiration!