Sunday, April 13, 2014

April Mixed Media by Nicole Doiron

You've all heard about the mixed media craze, right?
 
Well, I have gone mixed media crazy using 2Crafty chipboard!
 

I have decided to do not one, not two, but three mixed media canvases for my 
DT reveal this month.  This first one was inspired by the April
mood board over at Scrap Around the World  (see below) and was created
as a special request from a coworker whose niece is graduating from college soon.
 


The quote is the french translation of the famous Walt Disney, 
meaning 'If you can dream it, you can achieve it'.  
I have used the 2 Crafty Dainty Alphabet set to spell out the word 'rêver'.


The World Globe and Ink Set was perfect for the theme of this canvas.

 

 All the canvases shared today were treated the same way, but in different colours.
I started off with a thick coat of white gesso, then glued all the 
pieces on it, including all chipboard.  I then did some stenciling 
with modeling paste, then let loose with different shades of silk acrylic glazes
and topped it all off with more gesso, glazes and white paint.


 Here, you can see some Giant Gears which are so versatile and perfect 
to add a grunge look to any project.

 
 
My next canvases were created for my nieces, Ella and Daphne.
 

Ella loves the colour purple and this canvas is as purple as it can get!


I used some of the pretty Flowers Frames.


As you can see by the image above, 
I used a LOT of different mediums on this canvas, 
giving it a thick pasty feel.


 The Graceful Butterfly is the focal piece and represent lightness and 
all that is sweet and pretty, just like my niece.


Along with the Flowers Frames, I added some more relief with a couple Leafy Swirls.

 
Again the Dainty Alphabet set was used to spell out the name Ella.
 
 
Now on to Daphne's canvas...
 
 
Where Ella is all about purple, Daphne is in love with pink.
 

Again, some Dainty Alphabet to spell out the name.  This set is a definite must-have as 
it comes with multiple letters and can last you many projects.  I also added a piece of the Floral Spray, tucked behind a cluster of flowers and adhered two perched  cute metal owls on to it.


 I used half of a Jenny's Bracket Frame in one corner of the canvas.


I adore kites and I absolutely wanted to use this one, from the Kites set,
on Daphne's canvas, along with this very fitting quote.

 
I have so enjoyed creating these canvases, almost as much as layouts and 
2Crafty chipboard was the perfect add-on embellishments.  
I know that I will make many more.  Plus, they make such nice heartfelt gifts.
 
If you want to see future mixed media projects of mine, 
make sure to visit my blog at http://scrap-utopia.blogspot.com.
 
 
Photobucket